We survived 1st Term of School in March and we are now in the 2nd Term of formal school! This calls for a celebration in March plus its the Boy’s birthday. So generally, March is a happy month for us!
The Boy’s Birthday
The last time we held a birthday party for the Boy was when he was 2. Since then, he celebrated his birthday in school with his friends. This year I didn’t plan to have a party. But one of his best friend’s (from childcare) Mum asked if we are interested to hold a party together, since their birthday is 1 day apart. And I know the boy misses his friends so we agreed. It was a no frill affair as we merely ordered food from a restaurant where the kids ate before they rush off for some indoor playground time.
The boy enjoyed himself and told us it’s one of the best day in life for him (so exaggerating). But we are glad he manage to spend time with his best friends and hope it bring some relief to his primary school life.
Fun, Fun, Fun!
The kids had their first taste of “Chalet” fun as I booked a villa to mark the end of Term 1 (and yay! more sleep for me for a week). The kids enjoyed themselves and were not willing to leave when time is up. LOL. We also manage to catch “Disney on Ice”. As I bought the tickets real early, we manage to get discounts and very good seats for our price category. The kids especially the girl were very happy to see their favourite “Elsa”. We also manage to pay Art Zoo a visit and the Littlest had a very good time bouncing around, though we were so afraid for him. LOL.
Primary School Life
We established the “Spelling” and “听写” learning routine last month. I think its working out well though there was some resistance the week after school holidays and the boy fell ill. But I think breaking the list into half each day makes the boy feel its more manageable and more willing to learn. So we will continue with this practice. As for revision, we didn’t really manage to do much due to his amount of unfinished homework and also the need to practice his show and tell. So coming April, we will need to buck up on that. I have decide to let him use online resources for his revision, as it is really difficult to make him do “assessment” book now. Maybe I will try to slip in a few pages of assessment books on weekends to let him get use to the idea. LOL.
Preparing for P1
Last Friday when I went to pick the kids from their Chinese Enrichment, the Girl’s teacher approach me. To speak the truth, I was a little worried about what the teacher is going to share. But I was pleasantly surprise that the teacher told me that the Girl is performing well in class and is able to read all the flashcards from last term. I was also surprised too. But I think the Girl has really put in effort and I think we should continue on our sight-reading in English and Chinese. Now our daily revision is sight-reading in both languages and about 4 pages of “assessment” books every night from Monday to Wednesday. And reading on Thursday night. 4 pages doesn’t seems to be a lot for a kid preparing for P1, but I don’t feel like overworking her before she even start formal school.
Reading with 2 y.o.
Over the last few months, the Littlest is finally able to sit for a longer period to enjoy reading. I have also “caught” him reading to himself a few times. He opened up his 大卫 book, flipped through the pages and started telling himself about the pages. I will like to continue reading with him and have just took out a set of books I bought for the Boy when he was young but we never got to read it. Hopefully, the Littlest will like that set of books. I have also bought him a small table (which we are still awaiting for it to arrive from China) and some sticker books, so he can work on them beside his GorGor and JieJie when they do their work as he likes to come to their table and “disturb” when they are working.
- I have been bringing my own lunch for the last 2 weeks! So glad I found some easy cook recipes to help me with this. They are definitely more healthy than what is served at my office canteen.
- I didn’t swim or run once a week in March. But I did manage to start a routine of Tabata every day for about 10 minutes one week ago. I hope I can continue with this by doing everyday and for longer periods.
- Did I mention “Ice Shaken Hibiscus Tea with Pomegranate Pearls” are my favourite drinks from Starbuck these days? And oh, there is like 1-for-1 every weekday. How am I going to declutter chilled drinks and tea out of my life with these?
- The kids weekends for the whole of March were filled with activities. Mostly birthday parties including the Boy’s. And there are 2 more parties coming in April. It looks like a busy month for them again. Well, decluttering their weekend schedule seems like an uphill task.
- As for reading, we are still reading some new books, but progress for Chapter Books is still slow. When will we finish our Matilda? I have resort to bringing their books out to read while waiting for food to be served. But only manage to do it once, let see if we have more chance to try this out in April.
- 1-to-1 date is nil for me again. But I’m glad Chubby manage to bring the Boy out on the last day of his school holidays, Just the two of them. I need to really set a date for a 1-to1 date with all of them.
- Date nights are still ongoing once every week. I hope this can continue, although at the expense of having a 1-to-1 time with the Littlest.
- Oh, did I mention that we did our Tabata together? We encourage each other on and remind each other to do it every evening after work.
- Manage to read a little bit more this month. Though I slipped again in the last week of March, as I grew tired and fell asleep the moment I hit the bed. LOL.
- Cut down my shopping from last month, but still made some purchases this month. I need to stop looking at shopping sites. I started tracking my expenses in March. I hope this will make me more conscious of where I spend my money.
That was our very busy March. How was yours? Are you ready for April?