This post is a little late as I was busy preparing my eldest for his P1 which started a few days ago. For 2016, I choose the keyword ‘Focus‘. I did manage to focus on certain things as I reviewed my ‘resolutions’ quarterly. For this year, the keyword is ‘Declutter’. It is a continuation of ‘Focus’ as I try to remove unnecessary things in my overcrowded life so that I can focus better. I set out some bite-size goals to help achieve the ‘Decluttering’.
I fell sick just before the Christmas season. From overdose of chocolates. LOL. I couldn’t really enjoy my time in Malacca as my throat was hurting. This year I have to remind myself again to keep a healthy lifestyle so that I can take care of my family. So I will need to declutter to remove all unhealthy habits and promote good ones.
- Reduce junk food intake to once a week
- Reduce chilled drinks (including bubble tea, etc) to once a month
- Reduce intake of tea (including Starbucks and Bubble Tea) to once a week
- Spend 5 minutes every day to do stretching or Pilates
- Swim or run once a week
- Cook and bring my own lunch
The kids are way too busy and have too many things (toys, books, clothes, stationary).
- Reduce their activities on weekends
- Reduce their homework time by covering only 1 subject each night
- Read only 1 language of book each night
(i.e. alternate between English and Chinese each day)
- Throw/Donate away some of their toys, clothes and books.
- Buy lesser toys, clothes and books
- Reduce junk food intake of the kids (including processed food)
- More one-to-one time or dates with the kids
We both believe that only a loving couple will raise happy kids. So kids aside, we also need to make time for each other.
- Reduce my expectation/dependency on Chubby, thereby reducing friction
(Such as bringing the kids or attempt to do things myself)
- Date nights at least once a month
- More exercise time with Chubby
I need to declutter my own schedule too. I have way too many things that I want to do and gets upset when I keep feeling I have a long “to-do” list.
- Reduce time on social media by
- Checking Facebook 3 times a day
- Checking Instagram on alternate days
- Reduce the games I play to 1
(I can get carried away playing games)
- Reduce the topics on the Blog
(From 2017 onwards, I decide to declutter the topics on my blog. I will only be posting about the books we read, travel and also post like this that review our 2017.)
- Read 1 page or small section of book each night
- Throw / Donate clothes that I no longer wear
(Hope I can reduce my wardrobe by half)
- Reduce online shopping and surf lesser on shopping site
(Since I learned about Taobao a few years back, I have been spending a lot of money buying things from China. Some are really good buy, but most time I bought things which are not necessary. In 2017, I want to stop doing that.)
- Reduce bad thoughts and stay positive
(Sometimes I will think that I’m suay, not lucky in local language. But in 2017 I need to start thinking otherwise because its really a matter of how I look at the matter. And I believe in luck following when you stay positive.)
I am not attempting to complete all the bite-size goals all at a time. But hopefully I will be doing consistently doing most of them by end of 2017.