Terrible Experience at KKH

Nope I didn’t give birth there. My sister has a day surgery there yesterday, so I accompanied her throughout the procedure. And I’m irked by the service standard at the hospital!

First, my sister appointment for her surgery was at 1030. She was told to reach earlier for all the admission paper work as she intend to claim insurance. So we reached the hospital at about 0930. And the admission work was done by 0950, which we thought was pretty fast. And we were told to wait for the porter to bring us up to her ward. We waited.

Nobody came and we were left waiting until about 1020, the nurse from her specialist clinic came over and told us to proceed directly to the clinic for her op. She told us that the doctor is still doing op for another patient so we are to wait for a while. She enquired if my sis has eaten breakfast. My sis told her no and she say actually she can eat something light. She told her to go for breakfast and will call her when the doc is ready. So we went.

We ate and waited again. It was already pass 1100 and we still yet to receive the call from them. My sis say we better go back to the clinic and wait in case they forget. So we went back to the clinic. Waited for another 10 mins and nobody “entertained” us. And btw, the clinic was empty except for us. So my sis went up to the counter to check and they check on their paper work, got my sis to sign an indemnity form and ask her to wait outside room 4. I was like duhz, if we didn’t ask we were be left waiting don’t know for what.

So we proceed to wait outside room 4. The nurse from that room came out and asked my sis to go in so she can take her BP and temperature. 5 mins later she came out and told her to wait for a FEW minutes as the doctor is not in the room. Apparently she left after finishing the op for the previous patient. My sis asked me to go for my pump as its about time and by the time I finish she will also be done (cause we read online the procedure will take about 30 to 45 mins) and we can eat lunch together. So I left.

The breastfeeding room as they put it, is just outside her clinic right next to the toilet. The “cubicle” is divided using only curtains that could open from both side, like those in the ward. This means there is no physical wall between them. And the mummy next door open the wrong side when she was leaving her cubicle. And yes my boobies were bare infront of her. And she still didn’t realize until I call out to her. She was “busy” trying to find “her way out”. ><|||

After my pump, I came out of the cubicle and wanted to wash my stuff. There were two sinks, a metal one like those of the kitchen with a side piece and a ceramic one used in toilet. Naturally I chose the metal one since it looks more like for washing of edible stuff. And I realize that there wasn’t any chairs outside where I can place my breast pump and bag. I didn’t want to hog up the cubicle as being a woman and children hospital I’m sure the usage will be high (true enough another mummy came in when I was still washing my stuff). So I have no choice to put my breast pump on the side piece of the metal sink (which thankfully was dry) and continue to lug on my bag while I wash up.

The flow of water from the metal sink was small which make washing difficult. And half way thru the washing, I realize the water that flow out is whitish instead of clear!!!! I let the water flow somemore without washing and it still white. I turn to the ceramic sink and thankfully the water was clear and the flow was better. So I rewash all my apparatus and praying that the whitish water was not toxic and can be wash away. I rewash everything again later when I went to my sis ward. I hope nothing will happen to my daughter.

When I’m done with the washing, I went out to the patient service counter wanting to tell the staff about the tap. The staff at the counter was talking to somebody, so I waited. The staff half way thru her talk turn and look at me. The first thing she say was “Where you want to go”. I told her that I just want to feedback about the tap. She then says ok and turn back to the other lady and continue talking. As they were conversing in Malay, I couldn’t understand what they were talking about. So I continue to stand there and stare at her. She turn over to me again when she realize that I didn’t leave. Then she say she will get somebody to look at it. I told her its quite scary as that is a breastfeeding room and I was washing my breastpump. She smiles and say ok. I then walk off but when I turn my head around she was back talking to that lady. I’m not sure if she really call somebody in after her talk. But considering that is a breast feeding room, I thought the matter was quite urgent.

When I went back to the clinic I saw my sis sitting outside the clinic. I asked her its over so fast? She told me she haven’t do it yet. The doctor is still not here. I was shocked cause it was 1hr since the nurse told her to wait. I told her to go in and ask the nurse again. Besides my sis is considered a private patient since she didn’t get a referral from the Polyclinic. I told her to go demand for her rights. When she went to ask she was still very polite and gentle. I couldn’t take it, so I went in also to tell the nurse off. The nurse still have the cheek to tell me that “I told you just now you have to wait a while right”. That really pisses me off. I told her that an hour ago you say to wait for a few minutes now it’s 1 hour later. She then say oh she will try to call for the doctor again. She wasn’t able to locate the doctor just now. I was really about to boil if not for my sis cheerfulness.

And 5 minutes later the doctor came and the whole procedure took less than 5 minutes. By the time we are done it’s 1245. She was told to rest a while outside the clinic before she got pushed to the ward.

I’m really put off by the service standard there. And when I share my experience with my colleague, she told me she also had bad experience with them when she went there for check ups. So in the end she took her report and went to somewhere else. With my past experience of Zai being warded, we did meet some nice nurse. But the doctors were not of standard. They keep having houseman coming and asked us the same questions about family history and Zai’s development 5 times. Two different houseman, two different doctor in charge of the ward that 2 days and one senior consultant. Seriously, I saw all of them jotting down on Zai’s record. So I seriously didn’t understand why they have to ask so many times.

Seriously I’m considering not going back to them the next time (Choy!).


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s